In colder climates if your average heating bill is $200 per month, for 5 months, then your total cost is $1,000, then a 20% savings is only going to save you $200. So if you are on a tight budget you will be looking for low-cost ways to save on utility bills. Here are a few things you can do to save money with spending little to no money.
- Outside doors are a huge source of heat escape: weather stripping cost $3 to $15 per door
- Windows are another huge source of heat leakage, wait for a warm day to apply caulk: cost starts at about $3 per tube
- On sunnier days, keep the blinds and curtains open, but close everything in the evening, these will act as insulators or solar heaters.
- Have you noticed lately many space heaters being sold at the big box retailers like Costco, Home Depot and Wal-Mart, and TV ads selling the latest and greatest? A low-cost one can pay for itself if you turn the heat down low throughout the house and put the heater in the room you occupy. Great article for more information Dont burn cash: A space heater may help you save on your heating costs.
- Insulate wall plates (switches and plugs) on outside walls: $1.93 for 7 at Home Depot